At Cemstone, we have the right people, the right variety of the highest quality mixtures and the production capacity, scheduling, delivery and placement reliability to deliver your project — from an interstate bridge to a residential patio — on time and on budget.
Check out our tools and resources for homeowners and contractors.
Concrete fibers are a solution offered by Cemstone. Choose between synthetic fibers that inhibit and control the formation of plastic and drying shrinkage cracking, or steel fibers that increase tensile strength. Our fiber offerings add strength and versatility to improve interior and exterior concrete. In addition, fibers can reduce and or eliminate the need for traditional reinforcing steel, resulting in a safer working environment.
Like the placement of steel rebar, fibers can be placed in concrete to transfer stress, reduce cracks, increase impact resistance and generally increase strength and long term performance.
Fiber reinforcement also inhibits plastic shrinkage crack formation, reduces plastic settlement cracking, increases green strength, and improves the cohesion of the mix, all of which give you durable, low maintenance concrete.
Cemstone fiber-reinforced concrete can be used to improve everything from slabs, driveways, patios and sidewalks to commercial parking lots and construction parts like beams and pillars without the increased cost of using rebar.
Some of the benefits include:
- Faster construction time
- Lower construction costs
- Reduced plastic settlement cracks
- Reduced plastic shrinkage cracks
- Lowered permeability
- Increased impact and abrasion resistance
Micro Synthetic Fibers – Fibrillated Benefits
- Replacement for typical light gauge welded-wire reinforcement [(6 x 6 W1.4 x W1.4) (152 x 152 MW9.1 x MW9.1)], depending on the application
- Inhibits and controls the formation of plastic and drying shrinkage cracking in concrete
- Improves toughness, impact, shatter and surface abrasion resistance
- Reduces plastic settlement shrinkage cracking
- Enhances long-term durability
- Improves green strength
- Residential and commercial slabs-on ground
- Concrete farm elements
Micro Synthetic Fibers – Monofilament Benefits
- Excellent reduction in plastic shrinkage cracking
- Transforms macro-cracks into micro-cracks
- Measurably reduces plastic settlement
- Measurably reduces the concrete permeability, thus increasing the durability and service life of the concrete
- Performs as an excellent companion in blends with macrosynthetic fibers and steel fibers
- Residential slabs-on ground
- Commercial slabs-on ground
- Pools and pool decks
- Water tanks
Macro Synthetic Fibers Benefits
- Eliminates the need for welded-wire reinforcement (WWR) and small diameter bars used as secondary reinforcement, depending on the application
- Effective tight crack control
- Provides excellent control of settlement cracking
- Improves green strengths and permits earlier stripping of forms with less rejection
- Reduces construction time and overall labor and material costs
- Reduces the effects of handling and transportation stresses
- Increases flexural toughness, impact and shatter resistance
- Composite metal decks
- Industrial and warehouse floors
- Residential and commercial slabs-on-ground
Steel Fibers Benefits
- Increase Flexural Strength
- Increase concrete strain capacity
- Proactive reinforcement
- Decrease cracking width
- Replacement of Standard reinforcing steel
- Structural Elements
When higher strength concrete is needed, our team of engineers and scientists can specifically design and proportion concrete mixtures for use in a variety of applications, including bridges, high rise construction or high early strength project demands.
The need for high strength concrete, greater than 6,000 psi, is ever increasing in our modern built environment. Designers are creating taller buildings and longer bridges. Cemstone is a nation-wide leader in designing, producing and delivering high-strength concrete mixtures that can exceed 12,000 psi. Our engineers, scientists and technicians have spent countless hours studying how our highly technical mixtures perform in the plastic and hardened states. Our team looks at the following properties when designing high strength concrete:
- Compressive Strength vs. Age
- Freeze/thaw durability characteristics
- Modulus of Elasticity
- Placing ability, i.e. ability to be pumped
- Mass concrete effects
Typically used with steel construction, this structural concrete mixture contains low-density aggregate for a hardened product with a lower unit weight than normal-weight concrete. This reduction in unit weight can be as much as 30%, which allows designers to reduce structural member sizes.
Often times, the need for a lower density concrete is required to meet the specific needs of the structural engineer. Creating a lightweight concrete starts by reducing the density of the aggregates within the concrete mixture. At Cemstone, we utilize lightweight coarse and, in some cases, fine aggregates to create concrete densities that are up to 30% lighter than normal-weight concrete. We can provide this concrete year round within the Twin Cities Metropolitan area by having climate controlled soaking facilities at multiple locations.
The benefits of using lightweight concrete include:
- Reduction in steel members including columns, beams and footings
- Higher insulating values
- Fire rated
In cases where additional density is needed, Cemstone can engineer and deliver concrete with densities has high as 190 lbs/ft3. For use in the medical and nuclear industries where radiation shielding is necessary, heavyweight concrete can be an economical solution.
Have a unique project demand or specification? Contact our engineering services group and have them create custom mix designs tailored to your particular application or project demand.
As designers continue to evolve and envision new ways to use concrete in their construction projects, new requirements need to be met in both plastic and hardened states. Whether it’s using unique aggregates or cementitious materials, Cemstone’s Engineering Services Group is here to work with the designer to turn their ideas into concrete mixes that meet their needs while keeping in mind what is required for installers to successfully place and finish the concrete.